We are a small(ish) and friendly running club, based in Bicester, Oxfordshire, which was formed in 1999 and named after the old Roman town and fort of Alchester just to the west of modern day Bicester. Some of the older members claim to have fond memories of the Roman occupation!
Club members compete in road races, ranging from 5k to marathons and beyond, multi-terrain races cross country league’s and Trail running. We have a club championship series which encompasses both road running and multi-terrain events. We hold regular social evenings and annually organise 3 of our own races – The Cottisford 5k, The ‘ladies only’ Candleford Canter 10k, and, jointly with Bicester AC The Andy Reading Memorial 10k road race.
Tuesday: Pace improvement session
- Mid-September – mid-April – 6:50 pm for a 7pm start – Gavray Drive, Langford Village, Bicester
- Mid-April – mid-September – 6:50pm for a 7pm start – Bicester Sports Association, Akeman Road, Chesterton.
- These sessions are aimed at improving your speed and stamina and are usually taken by Richard Gould
Thursday: Club Night, group run
- Bicester and Ploughley Sports Centre – 6:50pm for a 7.00pm start.
- Meet at the rear of the sports centre by the bowling centre (toilet facilities are available)
- Runners are split into groups depending on their running pace and this done on the Thursday evening
- Groups range in pace depending on numbers from approx 7 to 10.00 minute miling along with a Phoenix Group for any runners wanting to run a shorter distance, have a social chatty run & for anyone testing an injury.
- We have a very simple rule – runners must stick together and nobody must be left behind. If it’s your first evening we always recommend starting off one group slower and then moving up the next week.
We do various different routes and these vary in the summer and the winter – a selection of routes is shown below
To see the different routes click on the below links:
Summer Bucknell route – 6.1 miles
Summer Bucknell, Bainton Caversfield 8.6 miles
Summer Wendlebury out and back 6ish miles
Summer pace improvement
Winter 8 miles
Winter pace improvement
In addition to our paced groups on a Thursday night there is also the Phoenix Group. This is for runners who just fancy 3-4 miles at a very gentle pace and is a great way for you to experience what the club has to offer. Some current club members may join the group quite simply because they just don’t want to do 5+ miles (don’t worry they all know the purpose of the group!).
All we ask is that you let us know if beforehand if you would like to try this group – firstname.lastname@example.org and we will try and make someone is available to show you the route and be welcoming
We have in the past organised Development Groups if you are keen to try running and build up to do that 5k or 10k. Please check back here every so often to find details of when our next group is running.
New Alchester Development Group – starting 12th January 2017
If you have recently started running, or have been running on your own and would like to build up your distance and confidence in a friendly and supportive environment, our Development Group could be for you!
The programme starts on Thursday 12th January 2017 and runs for 6 consecutive weeks. We will run for approximately 3 miles in around 40 minutes in the first session and then build up over the following weeks until we are running up to 5 or 6 miles non-stop by the end of the course. All we ask is that you are able to run for 20 minutes prior to the first session.
The aim is to increase your confidence, stamina and enjoyment of running. There is no commitment to join the club, but you will be very welcome to move into one of our regular Thursday night pace groups once the Development course finishes.
Perhaps you have a specific goal of a future 5K or 10K race in mind, or have run parkrun and would like to build further. You may want to get a bit fitter or to enjoy the social aspect of running with other people. Whatever your motivation, we will encourage and help you to improve in a relaxed, non time- pressurised and hopefully fun way.
We meet at Bicester Leisure Centre (around the back, outside Bicester Bowl) at 6.50pm for a 7pm start.
Please contact Rachael Bowles on email@example.com if you would like to book a place, or have any questions.
You may be a little daunted about the thought of joining a running club if you have never been a member before. Don’t be! We have members of all ages, all abilities and all levels of commitment. Whatever your standards of fitness are, you will be made very welcome.
The club is very friendly and social. Why not come along on a Thursday evening and give us a try (please note that you must be aged 16 to join the club)>
Annual membership of Alchester Running Club runs from 1st April to 31st March each year.
Membership costs £28 this year with renewal fees due on 1st April for the new membership year irrespective of when you joined the club. For new members joining part way through a membership year the following discounted rates apply depending on the month they join in.
Month Joined Membership fee
April – September £30
October – December £22
Apart from a lot of friendly people to run with there are a considerable number of benefits of membership:
- Alchester Running Club is affiliated to Oxon AA, the South East AA and England Athletics
- Club members do not have to pay the unattached levy when entering races (£2 saving)
- Club members are able to run in cross country league’s without having to pay any entry fees
- Discounts from a number of local business on production of Club membership card.
- Weekly newsletter
- Insurance for club night
- Advice and support on improving your running from the club coaches and fellow members
Terms and Conditions:
The health & safety bit!
Risk assessments (last update Feb 16)